Microsoft Outlook provides a huge range of features to a personal and business organization uses and the MS Outlook mostly utilized in the offices for external and internal data transfer or email communication. Most of the Email users have a Microsoft Exchange Server account which executes in synchronization with an OST file.
An MS Outlook is free inbuilt Email desktop client with MS Office suites for all Windows OS users. It allows the user to work in offline mode and scheduled any task whenever connection will stable with the machine. Nowadays, an MS Outlook is necessitating for E-mail conversation, schedule appointment, fix meetings with clients. An Outlook stores the client’s data in two file formats named as .OST and .PST.
An Outlook OST file is an offline storage data file that permits Outlook clients to work even when not linked to the Exchange server, i.e. in conditions when access to the mail server is not accessible due to any technical issues. An OST file in offline storage table file and create in two types of scenarios. The first one is with exchange server when cash exchange server mode is enabling during configuration of Exchange server email account with any MS Outlook edition and the second method is when email account configured with Outlook 2013 and 2016 by using IMAP.
The PST file is called as personal table file and automatically creates when email account configured with POP3 mailbox server in any Outlook.
Editions of Outlook:
Here are several editions of Outlook provided by Microsoft time to time for Windows OS, please have a look:
- Outlook 2002
- Outlook 2003
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2016
Here are some causes, when OST to PST conversion is necessary
- When Exchange server is under maintenance or downtime, then MS Outlook user cannot access mailbox and the complete data of mailbox is store in OST file which executes with synchronization with Exchange Server. For getting the OST mailbox data, the user has to export that data in PST format.
- When Exchange server crashed due to many circumstances as virus attack, power cut and malicious software and the user will be unable to access OST file then he needs to OST to PST conversion.
- Deletion of user mailbox from Exchange server, OST file becomes orphaned.
The OST to PST conversion task has been a very general necessity of the MS Outlook users, who have need to migrate from one place to another place, or when they face OST file corruption concern that are given above. The major drawback of this data file is that user can’t access its data by copy-pasting it to other machines.
“How to access corrupted Outlook OST data?”
So for this concern, you don’t need to take lots of tension. I am going to describe you two simple methods for using OST file in another machine or any other Outlook version.
Methods 1- Export OST to PST using Microsoft Import Export Tool
This method has one limitation that you must have to connect to the Exchange Server. This method is applicable only if you are able to open your mailbox in Outlook.
- Open Outlook
- Click on File option
- Select Import & Export option
- Choose an action to Import from another program
- Select file type (.PST)
- Browse PST file
- Click on Next
- Select folder items to import
- Click Finish
Method 2: Convert an Inaccessible OST file to PST Format using a Tool
But if you have an offline, orphaned or corrupted OST file and want to open it with MS Outlook that time first you have to change OST file data in an accessible format supported by Outlook as .PST format. There is no any method to convert an inaccessible OST to PST format in free of cost. You have to buy one third party OST to PST converter software. After purchasing the software please follow some simple steps:
- Open software and click on ADD file button
- Browse OST file and Click on Scan
- After the scanning process, click on OK button
- You can search the OST file if the location is unknown, click on the search icon
- After completing all steps, you will preview of OST mailbox data
- You can save specific mail to MSG, EML, RTF, HTML and MHTML format by right-clicking on the mail.
- Click on Export button, Choose the appropriate options and you can Export all folders/Export selected folders/Export all contacts/Export all calendars.
- Select Export Option for converting OST data in PST/MBOX/MSG/MHTML/EML
- Click on export
I have described 2 methods for OST to PST conversion task. You can select any one as per your requirement. But if you go with third-party software then you can easily convert OST file in Outlook PST file format.