Stem cells are one of the most revolutionary areas of medicine. Earlier the source of stem cells for the restoration of diseases was bone marrow, however with the advancement in the medical science now it is possible to retain stem cells from umbilical cord blood of the baby.
At present, the umbilical cord blood stem cell is used to treat many diseases which traditionally used to be treated by bone marrow transplants. In fact, cord blood stem cell transplants have already saved thousands of lives all across the world. They are capable of treating more than 80 diseases which include many types of cancers, deficiencies of the immune system and inherited metabolic disorders.
Let us get to know about the diseases umbilical cord blood stem cells are capable of curing.
Leukemia is cancer of blood cells which is caused by an increase in the number of white cell in the human body that outgrow the red blood cells and platelets of the body required for being healthy. All extra white blood cells don’t work right and cause problems.
• Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
• Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia
• Acute Myelogenous Leukemia
• Acute Undifferentiated Leukemia
• Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
• Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
• Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML)
• Juvenile Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (JCML)
Inherited Metabolic Disorders:
Inherited metabolic disorders are basically genetic conditions which cause metabolic problems.
• Hurler’s Syndrome (MPS-IH)
• Hunter’s Syndrome (MPS-II)
• Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS)
• Maroteaux-Lamy Syndrome (MPS-VI)
• Sly Syndrome, Beta-Glucuronidase Deficiency (MPS-VII)
• Scheie Syndrome (MPS-IS)
• Sanfilippo Syndrome (MPS-III)
• Morquio Syndrome (MPS-IV)
• Mucolipidosis II (I-cell Disease)
• Krabbe Disease
• Wolman Disease
• Gaucher’s Disease
• Niemann-Pick Disease
• Metachromatic Leukodystrophy
Inherited Erythrocyte Abnormalities
• Beta Thalassemia Major
• Sickle Cell Disease
Plasma Cell Disorders
Plasma cell disorders are diverse group of disorders caused by disproportionate proliferation of a single clone of B cells or presence of a structurally and electrophoretically homogenous immunoglobulin or polypeptide subunit in serum, urine, or both.
• Plasma Cell Leukemia
• Multiple Myeloma
• Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia
Histiocytic disorders are a group of diseases that occur due to over-production of white blood cells known as histiocytes that can cause organ damage or tumor formation.
• Familial Erythrophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis
• Polycythemia Vera
• Agnogenic Myeloid Metaplasia (myelofibrosis)
• Essential Thrombocythemia
• Acute Myelofibrosis
Apart from the conditions mentioned above, clinical trials and experimental treatments are going on to treat more diseases with stem cells therapy. It is why parents nowadays keen interest in preserving the cord blood stem cells of their babies.