This blog describes Exchange Error “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service” – Error 0x8004010f. It also explains the causes and reasons for the same. The Manual, as well as Automated Techniques (using third party utility), are also defined.
The primary task for which each database administrator is responsible is to deal with Exchange Server errors. “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service” – Error 0x8004010f is one of the crucial error messages that is displayed if the user fails to initialize the information store even when the Exchange Server is restarted Several times. If the Exchange Information Store is not synced appropriately as the clock in the Server and Client Computer then this error message is displayed. This blog will define the causes and solution for this error. So, that users can easily extract mailbox from offline EDB files.
How to Fix Exchange Error 0x8004010f
To fix this error, the following steps must be executed properly:
- Start the Server again.
- Domain must be correctly configured.
- Domain must be currently online.
- Exchange Active Directory Topology Service must be restarted.
- Start Command Prompt and run Microsoft Exchange Server as Administrator.
- Net time \\ADServerName /Set Command should be executed
- Now, restart Exchange Active Directory Topology Service to fix Exchange Error
This dangerous error with event ID 5000 puts the entire database at risk because Exchange EDB files which include priv1.edb and pub1.edb can be made inaccessible if the error is not resolved immediately.
Causes Behind “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service” – Error 0x8004010f
The recipient policy is searched in Microsoft Exchange 2010/2007 when the Exchange Server is initiated. There could be a large number of reasons responsible for the Error 0x8004010f – “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service”. The most common causes of this error are:
- Deletion of default policy from “Email Address Policies”
- Default policy may get replaced by Custom Email Address Policy
Technique to Replace Default Policy
The procedure of replacing the Default Policy is mentioned below, users are advised to use the given below steps else the inconsistency issues will take place.
- Click on Start menu → In the Search Field, enter Run.
- In the Run Dialogue Box, type ‘adsiedit.msc’ → Click OK.
- In Select a well-known naming context Window → Configuration `Option → Click OK.
- Expand the below discussed options to proceed further:
-> CN = Services
-> CN = Microsoft Exchange
-> CN = Organization
-> CN = Recipient Policies
- Go to Email Address Policy → Properties.
- Click Attribute Option → Search purportedSearch. The value assigned should be (mailNickname=*), if the value is not this, then it needs to be modified manually using following steps:
->Navigate to purportedSearch → Click Edit → Click Clear Option.
->In Value field, type (mailNickname=*) , Click OK to save the changes.
- Once the value corresponding to the purportedSearch is modified → Click Attribute → click msExchPolicyOrder → Click Edit.
- Navigate to Clear → in the value field type 2147483647 → Double-click OK
- Exit Active Directory Service Interface Edit.
- Exchange Server must be restarted to update modifications.
If both the procedures to delete and replace the default policy with the help of custom email address policy fails to resolve “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service” – Error 0x8004010f. Then there is no other option left to bring database to the consistent mode. As a result, there will be data loss and file corruptions.
Automated Alternative Solution
If you are also stuck in the same situation, then you can rely on SysTools Exchange Recovery Utility. It also helps to recover the data from Corrupt or inaccessible Exchange Mailboxes due to Exchange Error 0x8004010f. This is the only solution to restore the database back to the original format when the database is in an inconsistent state. This tool is capable to resolve any Exchange mailbox Corruption issue. It can also recover data from the dirty shutdown, corrupt header, and many other errors. This software is capable to support 2016/2013 & all the below versions. It does not compromise the integrity of mailboxes.
- Export Recovered Exchange Mailboxes to MS office 365.
- Capable to support recovery from Dismounted & offline EDB files.
- Provides date and Time based filtering to recover Exchange mails of particular duration.
- Capable to Maintain Folder Hierarchy during the recovery of Exchange Mails.
- Save recovered Exchange emails in HTML/MSG/PDF/EML.
It is mandatory to have regular backup of the Exchange Data including mailboxes, contacts, etc. These Backups play a very important role if the data is damaged or get corrupted. In case, if the user has deleted the Emails accidentally or the Exchange data got corrupted due to “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service” – Error 0x8004010f. Nowadays, the utilities to recover the Exchange Mails are very necessary.